Bag of Bones by Stephen King

Synopsis :

Derry, Maine.  Mike Noonan's wife dies unexpectedly.  After this tragic loss, the bestselling writer suffers acute writer's block, unable even to face the blank screen of the word processor without being shaken by nausea and panic.

Then their nightmares and the voices start...nightmare of Sara Laughs, their beautiful lakeside retreat.  Still Mike is drawn inexorably to their once happy home; drawn to his old typewriter and the urge to write again.

But the once familiar Western Maine town has changed.  It's now int he tyrannical grip of millionaire Max Devore and his terrifying skeletal bookkeeper.  Devore is determined to obtain custody of three-year-old Kyra, his deceased son's child, and is twisting the community to his purpose.

When the girl and her young mother turn to Mike for help, he finds himself powerless to resist them. But there are other more sinister forces at Sara Laughs determined to stand in their way...

Bag of Bones is a gripping, distinctive, haunting tale of suspense, romance, terror and grief, of lost love's enduring bonds and of a new love, struggling to be free of the past and the sins of the ancestors.

It has been a while since I read a horror by Stephen King.  I love his old work as as The Shinning and It but lately his work is in the spirit of something as The Girl Who Love Tom Gordon or Dreamcatcher which aren't really what I like about horror books by Stephen King.

As such, I was a bit apprehensive when an opportunity arose recently when another reader wanted to swap some of her collections and Bag of Bones was one of the titles that caught my attention.  To be very frank, I still wasn't very sure but I gave it a chance.

It wasn't very long before the story captured my attention and suddenly, I have in front of me the type of Stephen King title that I love. 

Bag of Bones is a gripping horror that to me, defines who Stephen King is as a horror writer.  Why didn't he write more of such titles?   I was reading it alone one evening and I was creeping myself out with this book.  In a way, I was quite happy with all the rain that has been keeping us at home and keeping me engrossed in this exciting, horrifying, creepy and addicting horror title!

I am very glad to add this to my collection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Silver Tears (Faye's Revenge #2) by Camilla Lackberg