Man and Boy by Tony Parsons

Synopsis :

HE HAD TO FACE THE TOUGHEST JOB OF HIS LIFE. AND HE NEVER ONCE THOUGHT HE'D BE ON HIS OWN.  

Harry had it all: a beautiful wife, an adorable four-year-old son, and a high-paying media job. But on the eve of his thirtieth birthday, with one irresponsible act, he threw it all away. Suddenly he finds himself an unemployed single father trying to figure out how to wash his son's hair the way Mommy did and whether green spaghetti is proper breakfast food. This brilliantly engaging novel will tug at your heart as Harry learns to become a father to his son and a son to his aging father, takes stabs at finding new love, and makes the hardest decision of his life.

There is a mystery here.

It's concerning where has my book disappeared to.

I brought the book out with me to mum's place and I remember very clearly that I put the book into my handbag.  When I reached home, the book was not there.  I thought maybe I left it behind where I was at since I was in a hurry at that time.  When I went back to mum's place the next day, the book was not there and she said that no, I didn't leave anything behind. 

Until today, I still do not know where it has disappeared to. It's a good thing I was at the last chapter so I was able to read just the last chapter in a bookstore recently! heheh....please don't follow my example. I didn't want to buy a book just for 1 chapter.

Mystery aside, there is nothing mysterious about this book.  The story is written from the point of view of the man concerned and the relationship and interaction between father and son is rather touching  It is very much on how a man made a mistake and the wife take advantage of the mistake and call it quits.  The man ended up being a single father when wife decides to take a trip to Japan to rediscover who she is and to follow the dreams that she gave up for marriage.

Harry learned to be more than a father to his son, Pat and the author also touches on the relationship between Harry and his father - how he sees his father as a hero and how he felt he can never measure up to him.  They made their peace with each other.

There are others who seems to compare the similarity of this book with a very famous old movie and to another author. Well, I have not seen that movie (i think the movie was 40 years old!) and I have not read the other author so I can't comment much on that and I don't make any comparison, Such, I quite enjoy the book and actually finished it over two afternoons.  This is the first time  read Tony Parsons and I won't mind reading his other works again especially the sequal to Man and Boy which is Man and Wife.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Silver Tears (Faye's Revenge #2) by Camilla Lackberg